First and foremost, lack of cooling is usually an obvious sign that you have an inefficient air conditioning system. However, there are many other signs to look for to ensure your system is always running optimally and your energy costs are not soaring high.
The Tell-Tale Signs of an Inefficient Air Conditioner
- Your system is over 10 years old. Most systems have a lifespan of about 15-20 years, but may only run efficiently for the first 10. Ten years of cooling your home puts a lot of wear and tear on your system.
- Your system may simply need new air filters. Dirty filters can cause energy inefficiency and potential health problems. Dust, mold, and bacteria can travel through the air when it is not trapped in the filter. These particles can cause allergic reactions, asthma, and other respiratory problems. A clean air filter can also save you 15% on your energy bill.
- The coils of your air conditioning unit may be dirty. Dirty coils decrease the functionality of your cooling system by 30-40%.
- Higher energy bills are a costly sign that your system is not running efficiently. Dirty ducts, clogged chillers, disabled dampers, and duct leakage can cause your system to run inefficiently causing it to work harder to cool your home.
- Frequent repairs, whether major or minor, can be expensive and if there are multiple issues with your system, it may be time to consider replacing your unit with a newer and energy efficient unit.
- If your system uses R22 refrigerant, you may want to strongly consider replacing your unit with a new system that uses an environmentally safe refrigerant.
It is important to have a company such as Den-Air Air Conditioning, Inc. to inspect your HVAC system to avoid major problems and expensive repairs. Call (561) 533-0716 today to have one of our professionally-trained technicians inspect your air conditioning and perform a thorough system diagnostic.